1800 Broadway, Suite 200
Boulder, CO 80302-5289
Honors & Awards
- Colorado Super Lawyers, 2015-2016
Michael W. Schreiner
Michael Schreiner is a senior litigator at Caplan & Earnest. Michael’s practice focuses on employment issues, employment related litigation, commercial litigation matters and public education. He has assisted a wide variety of clients public and private, health care providers, municipalities, individuals and corporations. He also has expertise as an independent outside investigator concerning claims of protected class discrimination, harassment, retaliation and Title IX violations. In addition to his extensive litigation experience, Michael counsels clients on a variety of employment- and labor-related issues, including avoiding discrimination and harassment claims, conducting workplace investigations, the creation and enforcement of noncompetition and other employment and consulting agreements, wage and hour issues, and other federal regulatory matters including FMLA, ADA, and ADEA compliance. Michael also has extensive experience defending clients against claims of violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act, and Constitutional and common law torts. He has extensive civil litigation experience in all courts in Colorado as well as in state and federal administrative venues, including professional license revocation matters.
Michael served in the Colorado’s attorney general’s office representing Colorado’s public universities and colleges from 1990 to 1995. From 1995 to 1999, Mr. Schreiner served as associate general counsel for the Colorado State University system, where he was part of a legal team responsible for all legal matters affecting the system’s universities. Michael also served as associate university counsel in the University of Colorado’s litigation department. While there, Michael was part of a team responsible for all litigation involving the Board of Regents, its constituent campuses and its employees. The majority of his caseload involved employment and other education matters defending federal statutory and constitutional claims. He is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Colorado (1985), U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit (1986) and the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado (1986).
- University of Denver College of Law, J.D.
- State University of New York at Albany, B.A.
Admittances & Licenses
- Supreme Court of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
Seminars & Presentations
Mr. Schreiner has presented at numerous professional organizations regarding best employment practices and legal updates.
Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- National Association of School Board Attorneys, Member
- Faculty of Federal Advocates (10th Circuit)
Pro Bono & Volunteer Activities
- Legal Committee for the Community Foundation of Boulder, Member
- Brenman, Raskin Friedlob & Tennenbaum, P.C., Associate, 1985-1990
- Colorado Office of the Attorney General, Assistant Attorney General, 1990-1995
- Colorado State University System, Associate General Counsel, 1995-1999
- University of Colorado Litigation Office, Associate University Counsel, 1999-2004