1800 Broadway, Suite 200
Boulder, CO 80302-5289
Member, Litigation Practice Group Leader
Ms. Whalen is a litigator with Caplan and Earnest’s litigation section. She focuses on complex civil cases, including property disputes, insurance defense and employment litigation in the health and education sectors. Whalen’s expertise in complex litigation, including her unique perspective as a former judge, has helped the firm expand its role beyond its core areas of education, employment and health care law.
Whalen has conducted numerous workplace investigations on behalf of private and public entities. As a former judge and litigator, she provides a unique perspective and expertise to workplace investigations, including neutral, fair and independent fact finding in sensitive and timely matters.
Whalen rejoined the firm in September 2013 after serving as a judge for the 20th Judicial District of Colorado for seven years. An exemplary leader on the bench, Whalen was unanimously recommended for retention as a district judge by the 20th Judicial District Commission on Judicial Performance in 2008. Prior to joining the judiciary, Whalen led Caplan and Earnest’s litigation practice area; she was with Caplan and Earnest for 10 years before joining the judiciary. Because of her high success rate defending clients, 5280 Magazine named her a Super Lawyer in insurance defense. She also practiced with the Boulder County Attorney’s office for four years, representing the Boulder County Department of Housing and Human Services.
Whalen is an active member of the community. She currently serves on the board of directors for the Longmont Community Justice Partnership and previously served on the board of directors for the YWCA of Boulder County. She has volunteered her time to numerous associations in the past, including Parenting Place, Joycare Infant Toddler Center at St. Aidan’s, Department of Commerce Children’s Center and the Millennium Fund. She is currently a member of the Executive Committee of the Our Courts Program through the Colorado Bar Association, the Colorado Judicial Institute, and the Boulder County Interdisciplinary Committee.
She received her bachelor’s degree from Colgate University and her Juris Doctor from the University of Colorado School of Law.
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D.
- Colgate University, B.A. in French Literature
Seminars & Presentations
As an attorney and judge, Ms. Whalen has given numerous presentations to school district administrators, health care administrators, and attorneys regarding education law, risk management, and effective civil litigation strategies.
Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Boulder Bar Association
- Faculty of Federal Advocates
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Boulder County Restorative Justice Project
- Association of Workplace Investigators
Pro Bono & Volunteer Activities
- Longmont Community Justice Partnership, Board of Directors, 2014 to present
- Our Courts Executive Committee, member 2015 to present
- Boulder County Interdisciplinary Committee, 2014 to present
- YWCA of Boulder County, Board of Directors, 2005-2006
- Parenting Place, Board of Directors, 1999-2001
- Joycare Infant Toddler Center at St. Aidan’s, Advisory Board, 2002-2003
- Department of Commerce Children’s Center, Advisory Board, 2003-2004
- Millennium Fund, Citizens Advisory Board, 2000
- 20th Judicial District of Colorado, Judge
- Caplan and Earnest, Member and Chair of Litigation Section
- Boulder County Attorney’s Office, Deputy County Attorney
- 20th Judicial District of Colorado, Law Clerk to the Honorable Morris W. Sandstead Jr.