3107 Iris Avenue, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301
Honors & Awards
- Army Commendation Medal
- Colorado University, School of Law, Distinguished Graduate in Private Practice, 2002
- National Association of Realtors, Counsel’s Award of Excellence
- Boulder Chamber of Commerce’s Lifetime Award
- Boulder County Business Hall of Fame Award
- Boulder County Boy Scout Outstanding Recognition
- YWCA Business Leadership Award
- Robert G. Steele Elementary School: Caulk Board Monitor, 1946
- Boulder Community Health and Hospitals dedication of labyrinth on Foothills campus, 2010
G. Lane Earnest (1938–2019)
G. Lane Earnest is a founding member of Caplan and Earnest. Mr. Earnest’s practice emphasized general corporate, business associations, real estate, foundations, banking and healthcare law.
Mr. Earnest’s significant projects included the acquisition of Boulder Memorial Hospital by Boulder Community Hospital; the first Colorado branch bank acquisition; and the formation of the state’s largest captive insurance company. He was lead counsel in the corporate reorganization and funding vehicles for a metropolitan area healthcare facility; he was also part of the creation of an integrated delivery system comprising eight professional healthcare corporations, as well as a management service organization; he was co-counsel in defense of seven Denver metropolitan hospitals in federal anti-trust proceedings and participating in the defense of the University of Colorado’s Foundation in anti-trust litigation in the U.S. District Court in west Texas.
Mr. Earnest served as president of the Boulder County Bar Association and two times as a member of the Board of Governors of the Colorado Bar Association. He regularly presented for Continuing Legal Education in Colorado and the Colorado Bar’s real estate section. Mr. Earnest served as president of the University of Colorado Associated Alumni, president of the Boulder Rotary Club and as campaign chairman for Boulder County United Way. He was also a member of the board of directors of numerous Boulder banks, including First National, Arapahoe National, Bank One Boulder, and most recently, Wells Fargo’s community board. Mr. Earnest recently completed a six-year term on the 20th Judicial District Nominating Committee and was named by the Colorado University School of Law as its distinguished graduate in private practice for the year 2002.
Prior to founding Caplan and Earnest, Mr. Earnest joined the Judge Advocate General’s Corps serving as staff judge advocate at Fitzsimons Hospital in Aurora after graduating from the University of Colorado with a bachelor’s degree in 1960 and a J.D. in 1963. While in law school, he authored articles for the Law Review. Following service in the military, Mr. Earnest served as chief trial deputy prosecutor in the Boulder district attorney’s office and later as an assistant Boulder municipal judge.
- University of Colorado School of Law, J.D.
- University of Colorado, B.A.
- University of Virginia School of Law, Military Law
Admittances and Licenses
- Colorado Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals
Associations & Memberships
- Boulder County Bar Association, President
- Colorado Bar Association, Board of Governors
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Colorado Bar Foundation, Fellow
- University of Colorado Associated Alumni, President
- Boulder Rotary Club, President
- Boulder County United Way, Campaign Chairman
- 20th Judicial District Nominating Committee
“Equal Time Provision”- Colorado School of Law, Rocky Mountain Law Review (1963)
Pro Bono & Volunteer Activities
- Katrina Relief Team, New Orleans, La.
- Judge Advocate General’s Corps at Fitzsimons Hospital, Aurora Colorado, Staff Judge Advocate
- Boulder District Attorney’s Office, Chief Trial Deputy Prosecutor
- Assistant Municipal Judge, City of Boulder, Colorado