1800 Broadway, Suite 200
Boulder, CO 80302-5289
Elizabeth R. Friel
Elizabeth Friel’s practice supports school districts and BOCES in a variety of education law matters, emphasizing special education counseling and litigation. In addition, Elizabeth assists school districts with general school law matters, including election law, effective board meetings, OML, CORA, TECDA, FERPA, labor relations, and more.
Prior to joining Caplan & Earnest, Elizabeth served as a staff attorney at the Colorado Association of School Boards, gaining experience in special education law, drafting amicus briefs, and developing school law resources for a variety of audiences.
Elizabeth has a keen interest in providing high quality professional development for public school district leadership and school professionals. She has extensive experience in developing and delivering useful, engaging seminars and presentations. Elizabeth currently serves on the National School Board Association’s Council of School Attorneys Content Delivery Committee, a position which she began in May 2012.
Born and raised in rural Illinois, Elizabeth graduated magna cum laude from the University of Notre Dame and received her law degree from the Boston University School of Law. Outside the office, Elizabeth enjoys cooking, general aviation, all things Notre Dame, and spending quality time with her husband and four young children.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame, B.A. in Political Science
Admittances & Licenses
Professional Associations & Memberships
- NSBA Council of School Attorneys, Content Delivery Committee.
- Colorado Council of School Attorneys
- Boulder Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Association of School Boards, Staff Attorney
- Deutsch Williams Brooks DeRensis & Holland, Clerk
- Boston Public Schools, Office of the Legal Advisor, Clerk
- Boston Public Schools, Office of Labor Relations, Clerk